Sunday, October 13, 2024

Fall II 2024

 Wonderful Watercolor from Ukraine

A few months ago, I saw a paint box called Rose Gallery. It was new to me and looked interesting. The rating on Amazon was through the roof and best of all, it was affordable. Noticing that the paints were made in Ukraine, I thought why not. This could be my way of supporting the country. Besides it was only $20.



Of all paints I have (I have many), this watercolor set offers the most brilliant and intense color I have ever used. In fact, the colors are so full-bodied you could mistake it for gouache without the chalky binder.

Below is a Neurographica piece I did recently using Rosa paints. I expected the paints to lose their brilliance once they dried, not so with this brand. 

Tree of Chaos 

However, there is a disadvantage to painting with heavily pigmented medium. Since we're all used to paints that deliver faint colors, which we have to bring to life with several layers, Rosa doesn't perform that way. So it requires a learning curve. 

In other words, instead of approaching the paint as we would typically do, we have to first dilute the paint more so than usual. I'm still big on layering, so I greatly water down the paints before I place them on the paper. From there I can layer or let the paint stand on it's own. Notice, in above piece, the flowing river (light turquoise) in the lower right hand corner. This was done by diluting with water, no layers.

I am so impressed with this brand, I actually bought a larger set. I would highly recommend Rosa Gallery watercolor paints to anyone. They are a fun experience.

Note: Next issue, I will talk about Neurographica art (see above), which is a great meditative art form . It's a great way to maintain mindfulness. To give you some background, I tumbled this summer and have post concussion syndrome. This artform is supposed to help with your brain neurons. I can't say I'm getting cured anytime soon, but I do find that my brain seems a bit more relaxed after a neurographic workout. More next issue.

What coming up in the studio?

The second half of the fall class session will begin on October 23rd and only costs $99 for five weeks (around $20 per class). As this is student-driven program, the students have come up with the following topics:  masks, haunted houses, abstract trees, turkeys and pumpkins/corn stalks. We'll be doing mixed media. Sounds like fun!


If you're interested in attending, please email me: jjgoodell@gmail.com

That's all for now!

Be careful who you trust, for even the Devil was once an Angel. Bianca Scardoni

No comments:

Post a Comment