Thursday, August 22, 2024

Fall 2024 Newsletter

 Pan Pastels. A unique alternative

As I write this blog it is hot outside. I am soooo looking forward to fall. I like the cool, crisp mornings and sweater weather in the afternoon. Besides, my flower beds are reaching "spent-hood," so it's time to put in some autumn plants and decorations.

Last summer I wrote an article on soft pastels, providing lots of information regarding drawing (painting) with pastels, including how to work with pastel sticks, pastel pencils and even the best paper (ground) to use. I touched upon a fairly new product called Pan Pastel and how it serves as a good alternative to working with traditional methods.

The pans
The biggest difference of Pan Pastel is namely the pan where the color lies. Made of the same ingredients as the stick and pencil, Pan Pastel comes in fairly good-sized pan, packed with solid soft pastel (some refer to this as chalk). See below to view one such pan.

Normally, when creating a pastel painting, you use your stick to lay down the color. I may also use cotton swabs or a blending with my cots covered finger. However when using PanPastels, you use applicators.


I like the intensity of the colors. Using applicators also seem to give me more control. But best of all, I don't have pastel dust building up on my picture. If I do, it's minor and I simply take my ground (paper) and tap it against a slip sheet I have below.

The color palettes
The pastels come in a handy pallet that I can use immediately. There are several themes: basic colors (see below), sketch & tone, earth colors, metallic, skin tones, designer color and more.


Completed Project
Just recently I created a still life with an apple and some cherries. It was fun and easy to create. I would highly recommend this product. BTW, you can see a demo on this on my YouTube channel.

What's Coming this Fall (2024)

Students have selected an autumn theme, so we will be covering leaves, gourds, landscapes, sunflowers and holiday cards, using graphite pencil, colored pencil, pastels, watercolor and charcoal. It should be fun. 

Classes will be conducted within a five-week session. The session fee is $99. Each class within the session is $20 (give or take a dollar). Individual classes (taken separately) are $25 each. See details below.


No comments:

Post a Comment