Wednesday, September 2, 2020

 Sketching Fall from your Window

Why sketching from your window? 

During these times, when we are limited to where we can go because of the COVID-19 threat, it helps to do art. Studies have shown several benefits:

      • mindfulness,
      • mood changes,
      • meditative state,
      • stress reducer,
      • increase in well-being,
      • slowing down and paying attention,
      • a positive life experience, and so on.

And best of all, we can look right outside our windows to find all sorts of subjects. We can even go for a drive and stop to capture lovely landscapes, either inside the vehicle or outside (if safe). Why you can even pick up a leaf or two on your lawn to study and pour over it in your sketchbook.

I like fall the most as well because there are so many vivid colors. With the trees turning color and our gardens slowing down, I like to select subjects that are fun like leaves, squashes, corn husks and the like. 

Why online?
For the same reason mentioned above as well as connecting with others. I look forward to my days online because I am involved with my students more so than if I called them. Both days are filled with lovely people who like to engage in, not only their art, but with each other. These liberal-minded folks love to laugh as well as challenge themselves. I never feel alone.

Why should I bother?
It sucks to be stuck inside all the time. Even if you go out to shop or to take a walk, you can still miss the structure of one's day. With these classes, there is structure in class as well as later in the week. That's because you are assigned homework. Of course, you don't have to do the homework, but all of us are finding the assignments are helpful by keeping us focused on something other than the virus or the news.

Do I have to be good at art to feel comfortable?
Not at all. First of all, everyone has to start somewhere and the drawing methods I teach are basic and easy to follow. I have taught over 2500 people over the past 15 years. I have the experience and the know-how that gives you the skills to succeed. Just like playing the piano, you must learn how before you can play a tune.

But I'm uncomfortable with online learning?
It can be a bit scary for sure. It's one thing to talk to relatives and friends online, but quite another to learn a new skill. I assure you, these class are totally live. You will learn in real time with me because I use a Documate camera for all my demonstrations. You can ask questions or have me repeat a process you don't understand. Some say it is far better than having to look over my shoulders when I'm demonstrating in a classroom.

Every class includes an online handout sent to you a couple of days before class begins. It includes information on the subject covered that day, photos of the subject with and without grids, vintage drawings for practice and homework assignment. 

Do I have to buy a lot of supplies?
The supply list is not very long. You should be able to buy everything online or at local art stores.

  • Mechanical pencil, .5 or .7 mm, HB
  • Journal
  • Permanent Ink pens
  • Erasers: kneadable, white plastic, eraser pen
  • Divider/compass (for measuring)
  • Blending stumps
  • Watercolor, Gouache
  • Colored pencils, watercolor pencils
  • Water brushes
  • Rag/washcloth
  • Apron or old shirt

You do not have to bring anything the first day of class, except a #2 pencil, paper and an eraser. We will cover the supplies in more detail then. There are certain products you should steer away from, if your budget allows.

What should you do next?
Email Jill and request registration materials or just to ask more questions. 

Registration: jjgoodell@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment