Thursday, December 19, 2013

A look into 2014: Affordable Art

Why Affordable Art?
Six Week Terms are $80 or less

I'm writing this newsletter a little early this time because I've had a lot of requests
regarding my studio classes and their costs. So to clear the air I thought I'd devote this space to the subject.

Yes, my six-week class terms are only $80 or less! Why so affordable? Okay some would say cheap here too. Well, the plain, simple truth is I know how hard and frustrating it is to find affordable art classes for adults! When I went back to full-time art, I wanted to take some classes but everything always seemed to be way out of reach for my pocketbook.  I didn't, nor do I today, have $360-$800 to spend on classes per term. Now, if I were going for a degree or some sort of certificate, I would expect to pay that much. But to enrich my life, I can't seem to shell out that much cash. I found a couple of options back then: the local community college and senior centers. Fortunately, I was able to take quite a few classes there, along with an affordable class with a watercolor teacher in Tualatin named Linda Aman. 

Moving ahead several years, I found myself lying in bed recovering from breast surgery and chemo. I knew I couldn't go back to advertising because of the stress. But I wasn't ready to give up either. I wanted to do something that had meaning. Well, you all know the rest of the story. From teaching early classes to a group of test "subjects," I now teach several classes in my studio, workshops at the community college, to art groups throughout the West and even on cruise ships!

With that type of background and success, I could opt to increase my rates. I've been told I should consider charging three times what I'm charging today. And as tempting as it is, I always journey back to those early days when it was so difficult to find something I could afford.

Of course, as time goes on, I can see that I will increase costs--if for no any other reason than other costs are going up. But for now, I'm keeping my costs down to a reasonable amount--those that can be obtained for most folks. To that end, let me share this winter's term. I will be holding four weekly classes for six weeks. You can see the full class offering by going to http://www.jillgoodell.com/classes.html. But for now here is the listing:
  • Drawing Tuesdays    7 pm to 9 pm     $70 per term
  • The Wednesday Morning Art Club  10 am to 12 pm   $75 per term
  • Acrylic Painting Wednesdays 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.  $80 per term
  • Acrylic Painting Thursdays   6:30 pm to 9:00 pm $80 per term
  • Visual Journaling Second Sundays  1 p.m. To 4 p.m. $20 per class

Although my commitment to keeping costs down is my choice, I am not really being magnanimous here. I can afford to do so. After all, I teach in my own studio, my overhead costs are reasonable and I don't have to hire any teachers. I do it all myself. More importantly, I strive to offer the best I can give--yes, even 110 percent.

Affordable Workshops too!
While I'm not conducting any workshops this winter in my studio, I am holding one at the Multnomah Athletic Club as well as two at Portland Community College. Again, if you want afford art instruction, PCC is the best deal in town for workshops. I'm teaching two this coming term and both are for less than $70 including supplies!

Saturday, January 25   10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Basic Drawing One-Day Workshop
Sylvania campus, Room HT 323

Saturday, March 8  10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Travel Sketching: One-Day Workshop
Sylvania campus, Room TCB 212

For more information you can go to my website at www.jillgoodell.com,  the college website at www.pcc.edu or call them at 971-722-6266.  

Lastly, there are three spots left for the 2014 Sketching the English Village workshop to be held in the small village of Chiseldon May 25-June 1. Please feel free to learn all about it by going to: http://sketchingenglishvillage.blogspot.com/

Have a most blessed Happy Holiday Season!

Please have a wonder holiday from my home to yours. I truly hope that 2014 brings you all you want and need.


No comments:

Post a Comment